Friday, September 12, 2008

ON A ROLL


Last night's game was very exciting! We played a team that had very poor sportsmanship with referees that were biased for the home team but...... we still won! Spartans 33 Skyhawks (Salem HS) 6, Last quarter, 1 minute to go, our head coach put in Gabe Olsen and had Connor sit out as Right Guard. Our quarterback passed, our receiver got another 1st down on our 30 yard and Gabe couldn't stay standing. Turns out in the tackle, Gabe got his shin bones broken, both on one leg. Connor felt horrible, said it was his fault, he should have been in, but I reminded him that that decision had been taken out of his hands by his coach, so he stopped fussing somewhat. I do think that Connor would have survived the tackle a bit better, he's quite a bit bigger than Gabe, their defense had a harder time moving Connor most of the game. But I also feel like we dodged a bullet with that injury...Eeek! Gabe was taken to Payson Hospital which is just down the road, we drove by so Connor could see the ambulance and medics had everything under control. This is the 'not so fun' part of football I dread!

5 comments:

Brenny said...

Yikes! I'm glad they won and that Connor is okay, but how sad for the other boy! Connor is pretty tough, I bet he could have handled it...

Kelli said...

Oh my stars! That is scary. I'm glad that the other boy is ok and even more glad that Conner is ok also!

Robin Fisher said...

Keep drinking milk, Connor :)

Helen said...

I agree with Robin that Connor should keep drinking milk! Thanks for keeping us updated, Cory. Blogs are the best e-touches of my day!

Jacqui said...

HOLY SMOKES! Yes, drink lots of milk. And no, I repeat NO soda pop! Eeek! That's one of the worst things he could do for his athletic body and strong bones!

I wish I could come see him play!